Sunday, January 3, 2010

Imaginary Friends

Every now and then, when I'm engaged in an activity that allows my mind to wander aimlessly, I compose song lyrics or string quartet music, come up with ideas for novels, or write poetry. It's just one of those freakish, right-brained anomalies that can happen while I'm driving in the car, fast asleep in bed, or just about anywhere. This morning it happened while I was shaving my legs in the shower. Sometimes the end result is solid gold, and other times...more like total crap. I believe today's effort falls somewhere in the middle of that scale (but most likely leaning more toward the total crap end--lol). Despite this, I've decided to share the fruit of this creative interlude anyway. Enjoy!

Imaginary Friends


When a little child reached a certain age,
His parents called him over and said,
"Let go of your imaginary friend
And learn to play with your peers instead."


But their little son protested and cried,
Insisting that his old friend was true.
"Son, that just cannot be," declared his dad,
"When the only believer is you."


Dejected and sad, the boy left the pair
To ponder a command that seemed odd.
Why must he give up his own special friend
When his folks got to keep one called God?


No comments:

Post a Comment