Monday, January 25, 2010

Movie Review: The Invention of Lying

 The other night, my husband brought home a movie that I had never heard of before--The Invention of Lying. I was skeptical about watching it, and tired to boot, but I stoically agreed to veg on the couch and watch. I have to say that I am so glad I did. If you haven't heard of this movie before, click on the link below and watch the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc79ho-PzeE


Unfortunately, the trailer leaves out the most intriguing part of the storyline for this movie. I don't want to give it away completely, so I'll just say...there is a very humanist/unbeliever-friendly message subtly (or maybe not-so-subtly) contained within the plot, which served as the cherry on top of an already sweet little comedy co-written and directed by Ricky Gervais. In other words, if you'd like to see Biblical comedy turned on its head a bit, this is a great movie to watch. I really enjoyed it and definitely recommend it.

Quote of the Day:

"No man who has ever lived knows more about the hereafter...than you and I; and all religion...is simply evolved out of chicanery, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."

--Edgar Allan Poe

No comments:

Post a Comment