Thursday, December 31, 2009

Prayer: America's Only Hope


This morning, as I was driving through a local neighborhood on my way to the grocery store, I noticed that several yards were displaying a campaign-style sign that I had never seen before. Being a godless heathen, naturally this caught my attention. In addition, being a bit of a sarcastic wise-ass, my first thought upon reading it was, If that's our only hope, we're so screwed!

Anyway, after I got home and finished putting the groceries away, I googled the slogan in an attempt to find out where these good neighbors had obtained their signs. Lo and behold, for a mere $5, the friendly people from a church out in Texas (go figure) would be happy to send me, you, or anyone else one of these fine signs with the somber slogan and handy Bible verse. What a deal!! Only 5 bucks for a $.49 sign. I can't wait to place my order!


But then, I had another thought. What if I created my own sign to put out in the front yard? After brainstorming a few ideas, I settled on the one pictured here. I realize it's not nearly as showy, and it was originally designed in color, but I'm in low-tech hell today, so....

If you like my sign, send me your address and $5.00 and I'll send you a professionally made 49-cent sign for your front yard too.  :P

Quote of the Day:


"I feel no need for any other faith than my faith in human beings."
--Pearl S. Buck


5 comments:

  1. As far as the quote, "how's that working for you??"

    Texas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here behind the Pine Curtain, TX, we've got a Wal*Mart's Size XXXL buncha "Prayer: America's *Only* Hope" yard signs, all of which only add to the litter along our highways (literally).

    Each time I pass one, I think, Rrright. If prayer worked so well, the far-right fundies who send me prayer-chain emails would've gotten their prayers answered on everything from abortion to Obama to...you-name-it.

    Shoot, maybe there's something to prayer after all. A lot of mine have certainly come true, a recent eight heckish years excepted.
    ;O

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Anonymous #1: Pretty well, actually. The reality is that all of us put our faith in human beings every day--from our loved ones to police, to teachers, and (for many) even religious leaders. As a result, the world runs fairly smoothly, though not without imperfections, and one sees visible, objectively defined examples of the justification of that faith. Not so with prayer. No scientific study on the efficacy of prayer has ever been able to demonstrate a positive correlation between prayer and a measurable outcome. In fact, in the largest-scale study conducted, the effect of prayer was found to be negative for those who knew they were the focus of prayer (possibly due to other psychological effects arising from said knowledge, not from the prayer itself). So, imperfect though we may all be, I prefer to put my faith in real live people, rather than imaginary friends.

    To Anonymous #2: LMAO...I love the "Pine Curtain" descriptor especially. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Richard Dawkins, Jr.December 30, 2010 at 9:36 PM

    I've noticed the signs also and thought the exact same thing- we are in big trouble if this is our only hope. However, did you have to bash Texas? We aren't all Bible thumping lunatics down here. I'm from Texas and read every Ayn Rand book written and believe that reason is the only way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To RD, Jr: I'm sorry if you felt I bashed Texas and hope you won't take it too personally. It's just that if you look at the Lone Star State's track record (from W to state boards of education to mega-churches peddling ridiculous signs), there is an overwhelming preponderance of Bible-thumping going on there. However, living in a Bible-belt state myself, I do recognize that just because one is surrounded by looneys, it doesn't necessarily make one a looney and I hope you will accept my sincere apology if I offended you. Texas needs more openly rational people like yourself.

    ReplyDelete